Tuesday, October 18, 2011

Who Speaks for God?

One of the candidates seeking to become our next president recently was quoted as saying "The outcome of the 2012 presidential election is up to God."  Religion often gets mixed in with politics.  I think it is a good thing if we hear our leaders speak about their faith perspective.  Where I have a problem is when someone speaks for God.

Who speaks for God?  Assuming for a moment that the above statement is true I pose some questions.  Was the outcome of the 2008 presidential election up to God?  Does God only decide the big ones?  What about races for senator or representative or governor or town council?  Do all political groups have 'the ear of God'?  If so, does God pick and choose?  If not, how do I know who has 'the ear of God?'

I am left wondering if this is a peculiar American issue influenced by our notion that we are a people especially chosen and blessed by God.  Politicians, 'talking heads', and pastors speak of our unique relationship with the God of all peoples.  Some go so far as to suggest we are a 'chosen people/nation.'  How often have we heard someone warning us that we have strayed from God's will for America and there are terrible consequences awaiting us if we do not get back to rightness with God?  I am wondering if that is a conversation common to other countries.

Would you say that when a political change occurs in other countries it has been because God chose the change?  I hear little, if anything, about God's hand being upon political change and turmoil in England, the upcoming election in France, or the turmoil of the 'Arab Spring.'  Are their outcomes also up to God?

Who is going to speak for God in the upcoming election?  It won't be me!  I believe in God's will for us individually, as a nation, and all the peoples of the world.  I believe what God wills is that we live every day, as best we can, reflecting the very nature of the one who calls us.  That reflection is about compassion, truth speaking, justice seeking, and loving unconditionally.

I can't speak for God about the outcome of a presidential contest.  I can ask all those running for this office, for any office, to refrain from implying God may be on their side.  I can ask them to be gracious, accepting of differences, and to focus on the great challenges of our time.  And I can ask all of us to be involved in the process and do it in a way that brings honor to the name of God.

No comments:

Post a Comment