Friday, February 24, 2012

"$4 Gas-Really?"

I am almost afraid to drive past my gas station more than once a day.  I don't know if I am causing it but every time I drive by it seems the price of gas goes up.  Now there is talk (again) of $4 gas this summer.  And gas prices appear to be poised to be the next political fear factor.  Really?

It is reported there are gas stations near Disney World charging $5.89 NOW.  I don't know if this is true but, in the spirit of the political season, I will not let that stop me from saying it is true.  A politician promises that, if he is elected president, gas will cost no more than $2.50 a gallon.  He suggests the re-election of the current president will lead to even higher gas prices-fear factor! 

I have been fortunate to have visited a number of countries the past 6 months.  On average drivers in those countries are paying $5.50-$6.50 in US dollars for a gallon of gas and have been for some time!  Oil is a global commodity and we are part of a global world.  To suggest we can control the price at the pump by ourselves is foolish.  I don't like paying more for my gas but I will not allow it to become a fear factor in my voting decisions.  This is not simply an American issue and, in fact, we have it better than most of the world.  Pandering to my fears is not helpful to the larger political issues our country faces.

Fear Factor may be okay for a television show but not for our future as a society.  Fear divides instead of uniting.  The NYPD is in the news for a large scale surveillance of the Muslim community.  This was done in the name of protecting the city.  Assuming you have done nothing wrong how would you like someone writing down your car's license plate number and taking your picture when you go to church on Sunday?  "Muslim", for some, is a fear word that justifies questionable actions.

The religion of our current president has been raised again.  It has been suggested he might not be a 'Christian' or, at the least, he does not live as the Bible says we should live as followers of Jesus.  Sure thought I read somewhere about 'let he who is without sin cast the first stone.'  Playing to fears divides us.  Demonizing those who do not share our views or agree with us is not helpful.

Address the issues that matter to us as a nation.  1.46 million Americans are NOW living on $2 a day.  "Fracking" for oil has serious environmental concerns beyond the price at the pump.  Young men and women continue to serve our country and die in multiple countries.  The world economy has tremors we feel in
America.  Economists suggest what we have enjoyed as 'the American way of life' will not ever be the same again.  Who will address the larger, crucial matters without resorting to playing on my fears?  $4 gas is the political subject of the day-REALLY?

No comments:

Post a Comment