Friday, February 10, 2012

Ordinary Days

Tonight I read Psalm 4 from the bible as translated by Eugene Peterson.  The passage concludes with these words: "Why is everyone hungry for more? 'More, more', they say, 'More, more.'  I have God's more-than-enough, More joy in one ordinary day Than they get in all their shopping sprees.  At day's end I'm ready for sound sleep.  For you, God, have put my life back together."

In the midst of worrying over tomorrows, re-thinking yesterdays, and coping with any day I do well to be reminded of the gift of ordinary days.  Today was an ordinary day, just what I needed.

Seconds before the alarm pulled me from bed I could hear the steady, slightly noisy breathing of my wife laying beside me.  It is a good sound.  I went to the grocery store and played bumper carts with surly and smiling people.  When I checked out my grocery bill for the week was $74.01 (not necessarily an ordinary order total).  Grandsons Aiden and Parker were here for the afternoon and evening.  Getting out of the car heading into Chili's Aiden did his best to catch the wet snowflakes on the tip of his tongue.  He brought back memories of many years ago as he contorted his face in a mostly futile effort.

After dinner I was in my office at home when Parker wandered in looking for me.  He spotted my monkey nesting cups on a shelf.  When he picked them up I showed him how to twist one open exposing the monkey inside.  For a half-hour he took them apart and put them back together.  His eyes glowed and a smile spread across his face as he moved the bananas in the last tiny monkey to other sizes.

I slipped into the bedroom hearing Cheryl's voice-"Don't tell me you are going in there to watch television and leave me with these two boys?"  I replied, "Fringe is one of the few shows I watch." Sprawled on the bed with only the light of the television set I lost myself in this sci-fi show.

"More joy in one ordinary day...ready for sound sleep...for you, God, have put my life back together."

No comments:

Post a Comment